USING REXX UNDER TSO
This course provides instruction in the use of the Restructured EXtended eXecutor (REXX) language.
Attendees are IBM personnel who wish to create and use programs written in REXX.
A large number of terminal exercises are used to reinforce and emphasise the lecture material.
The exercises are organised to allow delegates to progress at their own pace. The course assumes no previous knowledge of REXX.
The course applies to the z/OS, OS/390 and TSO environments, and is suitable for:
who have a need to write, understand or maintain REXX programs.
- System administrators
- Technical support personnel
Delegates should meet these minimum requirements:
- Some previous programming experience or programming training (in any language) would be useful
- For delegates in the z/OS (or OS/390) environment, familiarity with z/OS and TSO concepts
- The ability to create and modify files using the ISPF/PDF editor is necessary
The course is run over 3 to 4 days and consists of classroom lectures and hands-on exercises.
On completion of this course, the delegate will be able to:
- Code REXX instructions with proper syntax
- Construct program logic using REXX control flow instructions
- Invoke and pass parameters to REXX programs
- Code REXX instructions to accomplish file and terminal I/O
- Describe the purpose and use of the data stack
- Write REXX programs that use the data stack
- Use REXX built-in functions to manipulate data
- Create user defined functions and subroutines
- Code REXX instructions that parse complex data strings
- Debug REXX programs using the REXX TRACE facility
- Identify the use of REXX command Environment
- Historical background to the REXX language
- Language components: Clauses, Tokens, Labels, Assignments, Instructions, Commands
- Operators: Concatenation, Arithmetic, Comparison, Logical
- REXX built-in Functions
- Parsing strings
- Decision and Loop instructions
- Data Stack management
- Subroutines and Functions
- The REXX TRACE facility
- TSO external functions
- REXX commands
- EXECIO TSO/REXX command
page updated: 27/12/09
© 2010 MKCT Ltd.