Programming COBOL-85 extensions and COBOL-89
for independent platforms
This course describes and explains the features now available in COBOL-89. It includes a separate
COBOL-85 (COBOL-II) topic for those delegates not familiar with the extensions, and full details of Intrinsic Functions that were added for those platforms that support
The course is ideal for COBOL programmers who have no or very little experience of COBOL-85 or
will be working with a compiler that supports COBOL-89.
All delegates attending this course should be experienced COBOL programmers.
2 days (3 days if the Debugging topic is included), hands-on.
On completion of this course, students can:
- describe and use the COBOL-85 (ANSI-85) extensions
- describe and use the COBOL-89 (ANSI-89) enhancements
- describe the compile options available
- understand and make effective use of Intrinsic Functions
- be aware of the callable services
- In-line PERFORM
- Scope delimiters
- Miscellaneous changes
- CALLing external programs and passing data
- Differences to ANSI-74 standard
- 31-bit addressability
- Compiler enhancements
- Compile options
- CBL, PROCESS
- *CBL, *CONTROL
- Date functions
- Character functions
- Numeric functions
- Dumps and abends
- Handling program run-time errors
page updated: 27/12/09
© 2010 MKCT Ltd.