COBOL Programming Fast Track
This course provides a fast-paced introduction to the most commonly used components of the language,
and covers the latest release of COBOL (up to ANSI-89).
The delegate will gain a solid foundation in the fundamentals of the language including program
structure, execution and debugging.
The course is intended for programmers who are new to the COBOL programming language or delegates who have no programming experience, but who
require formal training in the basics of the language.
An aptitude for programming, as well as proficiency using a text editor.
4 days consisting of lectures, quizzes and practical exercises.
The course is designed to be fast-paced. If the delegate has no concept of program design
or is from a non-technical background, the 10-day Introduction to COBOL programming
course is recommended.
On completion of this course, the delegate will be able to:
- Make effective use of most of the main fundamental COBOL verbs and keywords.
- Define and use internal and external data, correctly.
- Use COBOL statements to process sequential files.
- Perform Arithmetic operations.
- Understand, create and process one-dimensional tables.
- Apply copy code to a program.
- Write programs in a maintainable and efficient manner using structured code.
- Test programs and, where necessary, debug them.
Course contents overview
Click here for Detailed Course contents (opens in a new window)
- History and development of COBOL
- Compiling a program
- Verbs/Keywords syntax and construct
- Standards and Efficiency
- Program structure
- The four DIVISIONS
- Input and Output Statements
- Low-level input and output
- Control Statements
- Conditional Statements
- Arithmetic Statements
- Hierarchical levels and USAGE
- Alternative Data Descriptions
- Data Representation
- COPY statement
page updated: 27/12/09
© 2010 MKCT Ltd.